Ever tried a bowl of oatmeal in an attempt to have a healthy breakfast and cringe? Oatmeal benefits include but aren’t limited to: lowering cholesterol, killing the munchies (filling your tummy with fiber in less than 200 calories), and whole grain heartiness. No matter the oat – instant, Irish, or steel-cut, here are some quick tips to help you get to the kitchen in the am.
1. Salt. Salt is so important, really. Just throw a pinch in, and you’ll be able to taste a flavor from that hot cereal.
2. Sugar. If you have a sweet tooth, you’ll want a source of sweetness to get you through. This can be brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave, or anything else you would use, for something like tea.
3. Dairy. Feel free to add milk or yogurt to cool off the oatmeal and loosen up the thick.
4. Fruit. Another addition, especially for the sweet tooth. Fresh blueberries and bananas, or dried cranberries – whatever fruit you snack on, throw it on top of your oats and enjoy the additional flavor and texture.
5. Egg. More about a savory start to the day? Throw a soft-boiled or fried egg on with some extra salt, sriracha, or avocado.
As long as you follow the directions on the packaging, you should be good to go to adapt to your heart’s content. Don’t forget: there are no rules, and there’s always Google 😉